Monday, May 14, 2007

Mothers Day

On Saturday, I had bought and packed the gifts for the trip to UMMC to celebrate Mothers day with mothers who have been by the bedside of the little ones tirelessly caring for them for days, months and some even years. Its called the Mothering Mothers Project that MMB embarks on every year.

Saturday night while in bed I was recalling the moms I had met a 2 years ago. I didn't go last year as I was still recovering from having to deal with Inarah's condition.

I remember a mom who was feeding milk to her 4 year old partially paralysed son, from the bottle. He was obviously quite heavy but she had him in her arms probably for hours feeding him (coz it took him forever to drink). She was talking to me about how it happened; half crying, half embarrassed about crying to a stranger.

I remember a mom who was playing and laughing with her daughter on the bed. You would have never known that the daughter has leukemia and her mother is there by her side going through treatment after treatment; keeping both their spirits alive.

There were many many more but I dont think I can talk about it coz as I am writing this, I cant stop my tears from flowing.

I remember holding in my tears back after meeting each mom and giving them the presents and wishing them Happy Mothers Day.

Saturday night as I feel asleep, thinking about these moms and my trip the next day, I woke up crying. I cant remember the dream but I could remember having Inarah in my arms and running and that's it.

I decided not to go for the visit. I went with Alysha much earlier, left the gifts with the security guard and a note of apology for Ros. I dont think I would have been able to take it. I would have just broken down and cried all the way and that's the last thing you want to do with mothers who are trying very hard not to cry in front of their children.

Its a great gesture to have gifts beautifully wrapped for them to bring a smile on their faces. And thank you MMB for this. But Mothers don't need gifts. All they want is for their children to be happy, healthy and safe.

And that is all that I wished for on Mothers Day. That is all that I pray for.

3 Comments:

At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Shamira,
Seriously I just wished that something came up, and you just had to run to the office yesterday but this really brought some tears to my eyes.
Yes, all mothers want is for their children to be happy, healthy and safe.

Ros

 
At 5:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey.. Shamira,
I know what you are saying.. coz' i would have been tearing like mad too..!! but you are right..! all mothers want .. is for their children to be healty, safe and well.
You take good care..!

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Shamira - Nice to see another MMB Mum blogging too :-) Can I link to your blog?

This post made me very sad too and I know what you mean by not going for the visit. I'd feel the same way as you do too.

The stories you posted about the many Mums had me saying silent prayers for all of them. I've seen some SuperMums in my life - really put many careless/foolish Mums to shame esp if they have healthy kids. They don't know the treasures they have with them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home