Thursday, April 07, 2005

Am I a kiasu mama?

Hate to be the kiasu type. Always told myself I am not and will not be. Then I think about what has happened over "The preschool". You remember the post about Alysha starting school. The 2 days at school went fine then suddenly I have this nagging feeling at the back of my head about the place. Maybe it was after I found out hat one of the aunty/teachers that was in my daughter's group is Indonesian. Indonesian? Cant she even speak proper english? But does it matter? Of course it does. I am so particular about the way I speak to Alysha and I think that's the reason she speaks quite well.

Then I meet a friend in Kids Spots who tells me she wants her son out of the place I am planning to send my daughter coz the teachers are not really qualified. The Aunty that I mentioned was actually a maid in another pre school and is here on a maid's permit. And she is unhappy about the fact that her son (now 4) does not learn how to read or write. Unlike the son of one of her friend who can at least read and write a little. All he does in school is play all day. Also, she caught one of the teachers smacking her child for no reason.

But isn't he just a kid. Isn't that what kids are expected to do. Then again when you pay them so much money every month (a sinful amount, really) , isn't it too much to ask for if they throw in some learning as well. Really dunno what to say about the smacking.

Arrrrrggghhhh! (You might have realised by now, i do this quite a bit) I am now totally confused. Shall I try out another place then, montessori one maybe, shall I just hold on till she is 3? But I know she is so ready and she really needs to learn to interact with other kids.

Or shall I just let her be there and play till she is 3 or 3 1/2 then move her to another school where they will teach as well? What shall I do?

As much as I hated to do it, I called up the principle and told her I was away for 2 week and can only bring Alysha in the 3rd week. Then immediately called up the principle of this other great place I know (montessori) and told her I want to do a trial which is fixed for either Wed, Thurs next week.

I thought it was going to be difficult to manage Alysha as she was pretty excited about school and really enjoyed the 2 days she was there. She never even mentioned it. More than happy to go to her nani's house in the morning.

So really what shall I do ? Lets see how I feel after the trial at the new school. She is only 2 and look at the decisions that I have to make. Or am I just making a big issue over nothing?

God! I really sound like a kiasu mom .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home